If you are looking to apply to a sub-specialty programme in stroke medicine, this area of the website contains detailed information to help you. This covers recruitment to UK training programmes in England and Wales; there is a separate programme, available to any UK trainee, for those who wish to train in stroke medicine in Scotland.
This is the first year of national stroke medicine recruitment and there will be a single application form and interview centre for the main round of recruitment, with trainees able to be considered for all programmes nationally.
Stroke medicine training is only open to existing trainees in one of the following parent specialties:
- acute internal medicine
- clinical pharmacology and therapeutics
- general internal medicine (single accredited programmes only)
- geriatric medicine
- rehabilitation medicine
Upon satisfactory completion of training in stroke medicine and the parent specialty, trainees will be eligible to have the sub-specialty included in their entry in the GMC’s Specialist Register, alongside the award of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in their main specialty; for more information on certification please see the JRCPTB website.
If you are considering applying to stroke medicine, it is strongly recommended that you speak to your current training programme director to discuss your plans and the effect it will have on your training.
The stroke medicine section of this website has been divided into sections to help you navigate the process:
- Am I eligible? – key information about the eligibility criteria.
- Planning your application – including the timeline, vacancy numbers, contact information and further opportunities after the national recruitment round.
- Applying – where and how to apply and information about completing the application form.
- Interview – the structure and content of the interview, how you will be scored and appointability determined.
- Offers and beyond – choosing your programme preferences, how and when offers will be made, responding to offers and employment for those accepting an offer.
- About stroke medicine – summary information about training in stroke medicine and where to go for more information
There is one main round of national recruitment to stroke medicine in 2019:
- Applications – open at 10am on Thursday 22 November 2018 and close at 4pm on Thursday 13 December 2018, for programmes starting from August to December 2019.
- Interview – all interviews will take place on Wednesday 9 January 2019
The planning your application section has a fuller timetable and information about further opportunities after the national recruitment round.
If you cannot find the answer to anything about stroke medicine recruitment on our website, the Physician Specialty Recruitment Office runs an email helpdesk which can be contacted with any queries. Normally, queries will be responded to within 48 hours (excluding bank holidays and weekends).
To contact the helpdesk, please email: ST3medrecruitment@hee.nhs.uk.
Best wishes, and good luck with your application,
Dr Richard Butterworth
Clinical Lead for Recruitment and Selection